Thursday, September 2, 2010

How to prepare for strange interview questions - Ask Annie

"When interviewers ask about your last job, or your present one, they are really hoping you don't step on a landmine and say something negative,"

How to prepare for strange interview questions - Aug. 9, 2010

My favorite Fortune Magazine column, Ask Annie, provides a fresh perspective on a oldie but a goodie - it is so useful to be reminded that the interviewer may be as uncomfortable as the interviewee, and hoping that the interviewee doesn't say something concerning that must in good faith be reported back to one's superiors/peers in the interview feedback as a potential issue...

In addition to asking about why you "left"/are leaving your current job and seeing if you sabotage yourself, I also use variants on these 2 when I do mock interviews for jobseeking friends, as I hear they are more common than you'd think, and why pretend that you only need to be prepared to answer easy and reasonable interview questions, when that's just not realistic:

'The overly general "Tell me about yourself" (where do I start?) and "How long would you stay with our company?" (how do I know that when I don't even work here yet?). '

I will leave "I am afraid you are overqualified for this position..." for another post, as it's not covered here ... :-)

Cheers,
Connie

No comments:

Post a Comment