Monday, May 21, 2012

unix - Using getopts in bash shell script to get long and short command line options - Stack Overflow

unix - Using getopts in bash shell script to get long and short command line options - Stack Overflow:


I wish to have long and short forms of command line options invoked using my shell script. I know that getopts can be used, but like in Perl, I have not been able to do the same with shell.
Any ideas on how this can be done, so that i can use options like:
./shell.sh --copyfile abc.pl /tmp/
./shell.sh -c abc.pl /tmp/
In the above, both the commands mean the same thing to my shell, but using, getopts, I have not been able to implement these?
link|improve this question

feedback
The bash getopts builtin does not support long option names with the double-dash prefix. It only supports single-character options.
There is a shell tool getopt which is another program, not a bash builtin. The GNU implementation ofgetopt (e.g. on Linux) supports parsing long options.
But the BSD implementation of getopt (e.g. on Mac OS X) does not.
link|improve this answer

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment