Tomorrow, I’m taking a long road trip to Oregon. So what are the 4 things I should do to keep my metabolism active and stay healthy during a long car ride?
  1. Before traveling, I pack healthy, appetite-satiating snacks, rich in fat or protein, to keep me from eating packaged and sugar-laden convenience store foods, or being so starved I’ll eat anything when I arrive at my destination.
  1. I’ll bring exercise clothes and shoes. The simple act of packing the right gear will make me more likely to work up a sweat at some point in the trip.
  1. I’ll pack an elastic exercise band, which is much lighter and more portable than a set of dumbbells.
  1. I’ll write down my workout before I leave. I’ll create a list of 6-10 body weight exercises and complete them at some point along the way as a circuit, 15 repetitions, 3 times through with minimal rest. We’re much more likely to complete something if it’s written down.
  1. Here’s a sample workout that would take 20-30 minutes, and could be accomplished in the morning when you wake up, or anytime along the way. (Get exercise videos at http://www.pacificfit.net/exercises.php).
  • Body Weight Squat
  • Wide Grip Pushup
  • Elastic Band Side Raise
  • Elastic Band Front Raise
  • Elastic Band Bicep Curl
  • Body Weight Reverse Lunge
  • Elastic Band Tricep Extension
  • Narrow Grip Pushup
  1. I’ll have realistic expectations. I will not be able to maintain my normal fitness regimen, so I won’t set myself up for feeling despair about breaking my routine. Plus, it’s OK to change it up every now and then. You might actually find that your body responds favorably to something new.
If you have more questions about how to burn fat during a road trip, then ask away at the Get-Fit Guy Facebook page.
Panorama of a couple from Shutterstock