Thursday, February 28, 2013

How to Interview a Data Scientist, thanks to Daniel Tunkelang

I like this...  ;-)

How to Interview a Data Scientist

The O'Reilly Strata Conference brings together an incredible community of people working on big data. This year, I decided to do something different for my presentation. Rather than talk about science or technology, I addressed the practical problem of interviewing the candidates to build teams of data scientists.
My slides are below, but I'll summarize the take-aways:
1. Keep it real.
  • Avoid whiteboard coding. Filter with FizzBuzz.
  • Use real-world algorithms questions.
  • Ask candidates to design your products.
2. No gotchas.
  • Gotchas reduce the signal-to-noise ratio.
3. Maybe = no.
  • Bad hires suck. Be conservative.
  • Trust your team.
When O'Reilly makes the video available, I'll post it on YouTube.


How to Interview a Data Scientist | LinkedIn

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment