Monday, October 1, 2012

Quora - Very interesting topics - does a great job of filtering based on your interests

Examples of things I find interesting that it found with relatively little guidance...

What is the breakdown of a typical A-list actor's week when not shooting?
480
Stephen Fry, Tweeter, Eater, Cheater
I don't consider myself A list but I know plenty who are. They are hedged in by lawyers, managers, stylists, publicity managers, agents, lawyers and hangers on. They are incessantly finding freebies dangled in from of them. They can rarely eat, dine, party or shop without hats pulled down, sunglasses and security attendants. If they don't comment on political injustice they are vain, self-indulgent and unthinking. If they do, they are naive, foolish and ignorant interfering imbeciles who should keep their opinions to themselves. I did a fil... Read More »



What are some of the most counter-intuitive theorems in mathematics?
138
Bhargav Gannavarapu, Student, pursuing engineering

I have always asked myself this and have the following as the ones at the top of my list:


Every simple closed curve that you can draw by hand will pass through the corners of some square. The question was asked by Toeplitz in 1911, and has only been partially answered in 1989 by Stromquist. As of now, the answer is only known to be positive, for the curves that can be drawn by hand. (i.e. the curves that are piecewise the graph of a continuous function)




For further reading, see : http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~...



Another o... Read More »


What is it like to be in a meeting with Jeff Bezos?
114
Adam Kazwell, Observer
Steve Yegge shares some war stories here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/1109...

To prepare a presentation for Jeff, first make damn sure you know everything there is to know about the subject....Assume he already knows everything about it. Assume he knows more than you do about it. Even if you have groundbreakingly original ideas in your material, just pretend it’s old hat for him. Write your prose in the succinct, direct, no-explanations way that you would write for a world-leading expert on the material.

You’re almost done. The last step b...
Read More »


What does it feel like to be intelligent but take menial, blue-collar jobs?
246
Anon User
I went to a top college, received scholarships, and studied mathematics, science, and literature, but during school I worked at a moving company because they paid well and I needed to make as much money as I could.

My parents encouraged me to go to a state school to save money, but instead I moved away from home to go to an expensive private school. I was left in a bind where I had to either greatly supplement my income while going to school full-time or take out an outrageous amount of financial aid. I asked a family friend for advice and ... Read More »



What is Bill Clinton like in person?
269
Mark Hughes, Screenwriter, Forbes Blogger
I met Clinton several times (about 4, I think), first as a civilian before he was president and later while working on his first presidential campaign.

The best way I can describe him to you is this: When you are talking to him, you feel like he doesn't care about anything or anybody else around but you. He makes you feel like the most important person in the room, an assessment I've heard many people make about him and it's absolutely true. He seems utterly genuinely friendly and will remember you if he's ever met you before. I am critical... Read More »

No comments:

Post a Comment