Friday, August 8, 2014

Nomadic Matt's packing list


Nomadic Matt

Hey , 
 
Packing is always a major issue for people so I want to give you the list of what I pack as a template for you.
 
First, the short answer to what you should pack: take as little as possible. I try to take only the essentials and if I really need something, I buy it. It's not that hard to find medicine, clothes, or an umbrella overseas. I also try to stick to the same climate wherever I go to avoid carrying lots of different clothes. I don't want to be lugging sweaters for my next destination around Thailand!
 
The more I travel, the more I realize I don't need a lot of stuff. Everything I own fits into one bag and I never think "man, if I only I had X!" 

Pack light and life will be good. 
 
But the long answer to "Matt, what should I pack?" is my suggested packing list below:
 
CLOTHES
1 dress shirt for when I go out to a respectable place in the evening 
1 pair of jeans (Heavy and not easily dried, but I like them. A good alternative are khaki pants.)
1 pair of shorts
1 bathing suit
6 T-shirts
1 long-sleeve T-shirt
1 pair of flip-flops
1 pair of sneakers
8 pairs of socks
1 pair of black dress socks
1 pair of dress shoes (Heavy to carry, but when I visit friends, we go somewhere not sneaker-friendly)
7 pairs of boxer shorts (I'm not a briefs guy!)
 
TOILETRIES
1 toothbrush
1 tube of toothpaste
1 razor
1 package of dental floss
1 small bottle of shampoo
1 small bottle of shower gel
1 towel
Hair gel (So I can keep the fro down between haircuts)
Comb
Deodorant
 
SMALL MEDICAL KIT (Safety is important!!!) 
Band-Aids
Hydrocortisone cream
Antibacterial cream
Eye drops
Earplugs
Doctor-prescribed antibiotics
Tylenol
Hand sanitizer (Germs = sick = bad holiday!)
 
GEAR (for those blogging, taking video, or anything else)
Laptop
Camera
iPhone
Tripod
Wireless microphones
Universal charger (This applies to everyone)
 
MISCELLANEOUS
A key or comination lock (safety first)
Zip-lock bags (keeps things from leaking or exploding)
Plastic bags (great for laundry)
 
Added tip: When shopping for a backpack, buy something small so you won't be tempted to overpack your bag. We subconsciously like to fill empty space so if you have a big bag, you're more likely to overpack just so you don't waste the space.
 
As you can see, there isn't a lot I travel with. Everything I own fits into one backpack. I've found that the above list leaves me wanting for nothing and if something does come up (like if I stay somewhere that's cold), I simply buy what I need on the road--light jackets and sweaters can be found anywhere. I'm sure many of you will read this and say "But what about X" or "You really don't need Y". While that works for you, this list works for me. If you are doing a lot of hiking, you'll need lighter pants not jeans. Or maybe you never plan to go somewhere nice so you can ditch the "nice" clothes. Or maybe you're camping and you need camping gear. Tailor your list to suit your travels.
 
The real point I want to hammer home is that you don't need a lot of stuff. Before I go on a trip, I write down a list of what I think I need and then cut it in half. You never need as much as you think. 
 
In the end, there is never a definitive packing list. Everyone has different needs. I'm sending you this list as a starting point for when it comes time for you to pack.
 
If you have any questions or feel I missed something, send me an e-mail. I'm always happy to help and answer anything! 

Sincerely, 
 
Nomadic Matt

Nomadic Matt, 100 Jane, New York City, NY 10004
Unsubscribe | Change Subscriber Options


No comments:

Post a Comment